Line is one of the most popular instant messaging (IM) apps. This is a free application designed for distant communications on electronic devices like smartphones, tablet computers, and PCs. What’s important, Line allows its users to enjoy low data usage while communicating. The Line call data usage is among the lowest ones.
All About Line Messenger
Line services are operated by Line Corporation, a Japanese subsidiary of South Korean Internet search giant Naver Corporation. Line was initially released as a disaster response in 2011. The thing was that the Tōhoku earthquake had damaged Japan’s telecommunications infrastructure across the nation.
One of the most popular messenger apps began in summer 2011 as a communication system for NHN Corporation (Next Human Network) employees. The company renamed to Naver Corporation in 2013. The messenger has experienced exponential growth ever since.
Japan, Taiwan, Thailand and Indonesia are the 4 key countries Line is used in. The number of Line users in these countries is 169 million. In Japan only, Line has 70 million monthly active users.
Line Call Data Usage and Other Features
As one of the most popular chat apps in the world, Line comes with a number of great calling and messaging features. For example, the Line call data usage is 374.8 Kb per minute. This means Line consumes comparatively smaller amounts of data when voice calling. It’s worth mentioning that Pinngle, a new free messenger, is also among the apps offering the lowest data usage. Moreover, Pinngle offers awesome features that make it a great alternative to the most popular instant messaging apps.
Other features offered by Line:
- Free calls between Line users. You can make free voice and video calls to always stay connected with your loved ones. The app is currently available for iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry (voice only), and PC (Windows and Mac).
- Free one-on-one and group texts to your family, friends, and colleagues anytime, anywhere
- “Line Out” for highly affordable international calls to mobile and landline numbers of those who don’t have Line
- “Line Out Free” for making up to 5 minute free calls for free to almost anywhere around the globe by just watching ads
- Availability on iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Nokia and even your PC
- Striking stickers to jazz up your chats. Debuted in 2011, Line pioneered the business model of selling huge emoticons it calls stickers. As of 2016, the company made nearly $20 million per month selling sticker packs, which accounted for around ¼ of Line Corp.’s almost $1 billion revenue.
- Using Line, you can share photos, videos, voice messages and contacts
- Location sharing
- Service that allows brands, SMEs and other business users to tap into its platform to communicate with customers and consumers. Users can follow accounts of their favorite artists, celebs, brands, and TV shows for exclusive news, promotions and more.
- Timeline for shared texts, photos, videos, and stickers
- “Keep” for saving your favorite messages, photos, and videos
- You can quickly add friends using the “Shake It!” function, a QR code, or a Line ID
Line is one of the most widely-used messaging apps in the world. It boasts a variety of important calling and messaging features, including lower data usage for a voice call. If you’re interested in messengers with low data usage, consider also using Pinngle.
What’s the amount of data your preferred messenger uses? Feel free to share your comments below.